Wednesday 27 August 2008

A world within a world

Just had a thought that I need to capture before it escapes:
Could you run OpenSim as a shared application inside Wonderland? This may seem like an insane idea, I realise. Why would you want a 3D environment inside a 3D environment?

Well, I'm thinking about the draft evaluation of the first pilot by Steve and Marga, and one of the important issues that has been identified is the need to know when to do 'distance', and when to do 'blended'. I think that OpenSim standalone is just right for teaching building skills in a real life blended learning situation (Ian & Graham tutors), and Second Life is best done at a distance (Cubist and Kisa mentors).

Wonderland is closer to a blended learning environment, in that you are your real life self, speaking with your real voice, and you can interact properly with an application (interface elements and all) like you do in an I.T. lab. That's why I think it might be interesting to have OpenSim standalone as a shared virtual application. I can teach some building skills at a distance without it getting muddied by the whole role play and social complexity thing.

Well, it's just an idea.

2 comments:

dave cormier said...

I've been wondering if we should take a little time to think about what we mean be interacting...

In a real sense, we are working with folks who have a basic expectation of interaction... about being guided by instruction or participating within established f2f norms. Some of those expectations need to be met in order to allow people to accept the format

But do we have a clear idea anywhere of what those are exactly. Which ones we are willing to allow and which ones we are interested in trading for a more immersive experience.

If we don't... I'll get to work on them :)

Ian Truelove : Cubist Scarborough said...

Yes. The whole interaction thing probably need a bit of thought. My colleague, who is a film theorist, often talks about the mental interaction that an audience has with a film. No buttons needed. I like that idea. Agency does not necessarily require muscle power.